Friday, February 14, 2014

My Special Valentine.

My special Valentine. 


       I usually spend my Valentines Day working because it is the best day to make some good money as a server. There is usually an unspoken agreement that Eric & I will go out on a night that we don't have to wait 2 hours for our food. This year we agreed to not get anything for each other because Eric has a business trip coming up soon and I get to go with him. 
           I woke up forgetting it was Valentines Day and going on with my normal day. I didn't get him anything and he didn't get me anything. He knows I love him, I know he loves me. I have a very simple, loving, chill, un-jealous Husband and that is why I know he will be okay that I have a different valentine this year. I bet most of you are thinking it is Sawyer. You are wrong. We also have a simple relationship: I feed him, change his diaper and occasionally he will smile and light up when I enter the room and that is how we communicate our love. My valentine and I talk everyday but unlike Eric and Sawyer I don't kiss her and hug her and remind her everyday that I appreciate and love her. My Special Valentine this year is my mom. 
             After forgetting today was Valentines day I woke up and called my mom. She told me she was going valentines day shopping and I jumped at the offer to go with her because I enjoy nothing more than spending our days off together! We spent the whole day shopping and talking and it once again made me realize that my mom spends every waking moment thinking about everyone but herself. We brought up the fun memories in grade school when she stayed up late helping me put together the best valentines day box so that I could win the contest at school. Which I did after several hours of stringing lights around a huge wooden heart, I can tell you now that it wasn't my idea and hard work that won me the prize. 
             This is just one of the many examples of ways my mom always went the extra mile for her kids. I remember there would be days that she would work all night and come home, so tired yet still willing to help me with my hair before I went off to school. 
              Holidays were always made special at our house and it was all because of my mom! In fact, it wasn't just holidays, any occasion my mom could make extra special she would do it. I remember at girls camp one year we had a pajama contest and my mom worked really hard sewing me some pajamas so that I could show up to camp with unique, and "one of a kind" pajamas. 
            I remember in grade school thinking that moms were suppose to be ugly and boring but that I had the prettiest and coolest mom out there. While kids were usually embarrassed by their parents, I wasn't, I remember being so proud having my mom next to me as we drove the bus up to salt lake for our choir concerts. Those were my favorite memories. I remember all the other kids saying how much they loved my mom. 
         I could go on and brag forever but I guess my point is, Valentines day is a day that is all about love. I just feel very blessed today to have so many people that love me. I know valentines day is usually focused on your spouse but why stop there? I have so much love to give and most of it was towards my mother tonight as we drove down to to provo to door bell ditch Shawn and Emily to continue my moms tradition of spoiling others. As I rang on the door bell and ran to my moms car I couldn't help but feel like a giddy little girl, laughing and thinking, " I have the best mom ever!"




1 comment: